Last Update: August 15, 2014
What Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide Directly To Us - You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit our Sites (other than automatically-collected information, as described below) and many of the features of our Sites can be used without registration. If you do elect to register on a Site, access various content or features, or contact us directly through our Sites, we may ask you for different types of information, including:
- Contact information, such as a name, email address, postal address, phone number, facsimile number, and/or mobile number;
- A user ID and password;
- Other demographic information, such as gender, age, job information, zip code and/or professional interests;
- Communication preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive
- Information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features; and
- Correspondence you send to us.
How do your Sites use and share my information?
We use the information we collect about you to:
- Fulfill your requests for products, services and information, including to send you electronic newsletters or complete a transaction that you have requested;
- Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes and message boards;
- Provide you with electronic newsletters, updates, information, special offers and promotional materials on behalf of our Sites and third parties, in accordance with applicable law;
- Analyze the use of our Sites and information about visitors to our Sites to understand and improve those Sites and our content offerings, and, in accordance with our sharing policies as stated below, to produce anonymous or aggregated data and statistics that we may share with third parties;
- Develop and produce advertising tailored to your interests, as further described herein; and
Additionally, we may use information that has been aggregated or otherwise anonymized, so as to not make it personally identifiable to you (“Aggregate Data”) for various purposes. For example, we may use it to improve our content offerings and services.
We share your information:
- With your consent when you request a third party service through our Site;
- With authorized third-party service providers who assist us in the operation of our business;
- With sponsors and third parties related to a sweepstakes or contest that you elect to participate in and as required by law, such as on a published winners’ list;
- Where we have a good faith belief that it is required in order to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, to prevent fraud or imminent harm, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims
- We may share Aggregate Data with third parties for various purposes.
Please also note that we may share Aggregate Data with third parties for various purposes. For example, we may disclose Aggregate Data to third parties to help us operate our business and develop content offerings and services and to help these third parties develop their products and service offerings.
Price Quotes – Our Sites allow you to request vehicle price quotes from one or more dealers that you select. When you submit a request for a price quote, you are consenting to have your personally identifiable information shared with one or more of the auto lead companies shown on the Car Quotes Information Page displayed to you when you submit your request. These auto lead companies may share that personally identifiable information with the dealer(s) you’ve selected and with other third parties who offer goods and services that they determine may be of interest to you. You may review each of these companies’ privacy policies by clicking on the links shown on the Car Quotes Information Page.
How may you communicate with me?
We may send various types of newsletters, updates, and other communications to you as described above under the “How do your Sites use and share my information?” heading.
As one type of communications we send,using the email address associated with your account, we may send you administrative announcements communicating information about our Sites, your account or content that you have posted to the account. You may not opt out of these messages. If we are required by law to provide you with any notice, such as in the event of a security breach, you consent to receiving notice to the email address you have provided us.
If you sign up to receive any newsletters or updates from us through our Sites, or if you otherwise receive promotional communications from us, you will be able to opt-out of those communications by following the procedures described within the communication itself. You also may contact us to opt-out from promotional communications that we send.
What are our policies regarding third parties?
Links to third party sites are provided solely as a convenience to our readers. If you use these links, you will leave this site. It is not possible to review all such sites and we have no control over, nor do we take responsibility for, their individual content or privacy policies.
If you decide to provide any of these outside parties with credit information and other personal information, you do so entirely at your own risk.
What About “Cookies”?
“Cookies” are small pieces of information that may be served to you while visiting a Web site, and which are then stored on your computer’s hard drive.
It is possible you will be served cookies by us, by our advertisers or by the companies that help us deliver advertising on our Sites. Cookies help us and advertisers identify users on our Sites and on other sites. Please see below under “What are your Sites’ advertising practices” to see how these cookies are used.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but they also offer a user the ability to block them. Doing so may prevent you from using some of the features of our Sites. Instructions for blocking cookies can be found in your browser help tab. You can also learn more about how cookies and other technologies are used to target advertisements to your browser at www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising. You also have choices regarding participating companies’ collection and use of certain information collected through these technologies, as described below.
What are your Sites’ advertising practices?
We, our advertisers, and our third party advertising companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your interaction with advertising on our Sites and your visits to this and other Web sites, including information collected through cookies, in order to provide advertisements on our Sites and other sites about goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by participating companies, please click here: www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
You can also learn more about specific companies we allow to place cookies on our Sites and their policies regarding use of that data and advertising targeting here.
How about children’s privacy?
We are committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. Our Sites are not intended for under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and we do not target the Sites to children under the age of 13.
What are the Site’s security practices?
We have implemented certain measures to help protect your user Information from loss, misuse, or unauthorized access or disclosure. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your user Information, we cannot guarantee its security.
How will changes to this policy be communicated?
How may users change or terminate their account?
For some features, such as newsletter mailings, specified procedures to update your personal information or opt out of the service may be found in the emails you receive.
Your California Privacy Rights
How we respond to Do Not Track Disclosures.
How may users communicate with you?
You can contact us for additional information by visiting this page: http://www.highgearmedia.com/contact/
You may also correspond by standard post at:
High Gear Media
830 Menlo Ave, Suite 201
Menlo Park, CA 94025
For further information on this or any other topics email us using our Contact page.